9-11

We all know where we were on September 11, 2001. I was a once-again newly staying-at-home mom and was chatting on the computer with my best buddy Michelle from New Jersey. She told me to turn on the news. I was so shocked at all that I saw that I wasn't even thinking straight. I watched tower two get hit. I heard them mention Washington... I heard them mention the Pentagon. And a little while later, my Mom called to say that my sister was all right. I had somehow blocked out the thought that my sister worked at the Pentagon! How could I forget that? Even after I hung up with my Mom, it didn't hit me that Debbie was in danger. It was very surreal. The thing my Mom didn't know, is that my brother-in-law had told her this to ease her mind, but he really didn't know the truth yet. He knew the plane had hit the building right where Debbie worked - but didn't want to tell Mom that, until he knew something for certain. I can only imagine the torture he went through that morning. I can only imagine the torture that Debbie went through. As I understand it, she was in a conference room on the outer area of the Pentagon and there were people discussing what had just happened in New York and how they felt very vulnerable being right next to National Airport. My sister apparently went down the hall to send a fax and was standing right behind one of the recently renovated strong pillars when the plane crashed into the building on the first and second floors. Debbie was on the third. Debris and smoke flew by her on both sides. She told me later that she knew immediately what had happened. She grabbed a friend of hers and ran - shoeless - out in the opposite direction. It was dark and loud and the air was full of dust, fire and jet fuel. She went through the center courtyard (I think) and through to the other side and out to the highway. Somehow she was able to get out.
There are a thousand stories about that day. Our family has just one of them. And I, for one, praise God for his goodness in allowing my sister to be a survivor. He doesn't promise any of us one more day or even one more second on this earth. As a matter of fact, He promises that we will have hard times and that each of us, in our God-appointed time, will eventually leave this world for the next. But, He promises to always be by our side while we go through whatever we go through. Who am I to question why some live and some die. I have walked with the Lord long enough to know that whatever happens - good or bad - that it will always, eventually work out for our good and for the sole purpose of glorifying God. We don't have the power to stop what God is doing. And even though he doesn't NEED us to do anything - he CHOOSES us to be part of His plan. He allows us the gracious gift of being a part of His grand scheme! What a blessing! And as we look around us and see that God is obvious - He says we should know this because He made us to know this - it is our responsibility to respond. He only asks one thing of us to obtain eternal life in Him.... to ask Jesus to be our Savior. And once we do... we still face this world's challenges... we still have difficult times... we still wonder why some die and some live... but there is a river of eternal peace beneath everything we do that can never be shaken. There is a happiness that wells up amidst the grief. God is so good. And He wants so much for us that He will continue to give us what we need.... not what we want... until His best for us is accomplished. Hallelujah, Amen! (go back and say 'Hallelujah' with a hard 'j' sound - like the Besotho of Africa. I like it much better that way!)
My sister did very well after her ordeal. One year later, she was diagnosed with Leukemia - which was directly attributed to that event. But today, she is well and just as cute as ever! She even received the highest civilian award for her bravery in saving her friend - I think it is called the Medal of Freedom. God gave our family such a gift that day. I, personally, plan to give Him all the glory for it. And to try to live each busy, crazy day He gives me making Him famous. I hope you, too, will find God's peace that passes understanding. At this point in my life - I don't know how anyone lives without it.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-3
Comments